Winter Resume

Hello, internet! It's been a while since I've written anything here, for the obvious reason that the snow has been waist-deep out there for the last month and--worse--I am an engineering student. Nonetheless, here's a brief overview of what little seat time I've managed to score since the last update.

1. I got new boots! 

Out with the old...


In with the new! That's the new on the right, below. If you couldn't tell. In which case, I recommend immediate corrective vision surgery. (P.S. Don't dis the flannel-lined pants. They belong to my boyfriend, anyway.)


The new Gaerne's are SWEET--or at least they became sweet after I put some cushy Dr. Scholl's in them. Thanks for the great birthday present, Mom!

2. I went hooning on corduroy, thanks to an off-road driving instructor friend.

Every time I see a ski slope from the highway, I kind of want to go down it on a dirtbike, because I am so terrible at skiing that I would probably crash less that way. Don't get excited, that didn't happen--but I did get to ride on packed powder at a ski resort. My boyfriend and I were sitting in a diner about a month ago, eating breakfast, when Greg gets a text from his friend Rees. "I'm in the Snowcat", it read. "Bring your bikes." Enough said.



An hour later, we were testing our traction on wide Jeep roads criss-crossed with snow ruts. The snow was deep and the grip was dubious, so you had to hold 4th or 5th gear wide open if you wanted to A) get anywhere and B) get there shiny side up. Whenever the ruts got too deep to be fun, Rees brought the Snowcat around to fill them in. Good times.

3. Oh my God, am I at Daytona Supercross?!

Yep. DEM RUTS. Also, Ryan Dungey almost ran me over with his pedalbike, no joke.

Q: Why didn't you take any pictures of the RACE?
A: LOOK, MA...

NO HANDS.

5. What else did you do in Florida?

1. Bought bikes at Walmart

2. Stuff.

3. BUT FIRST, LET ME TAKE A SELFIE

4. Margaritas.

6. I encountered my first-ever motocross track and lived to tell about it.

LOOK AT THIS HELLACIOUS AIR.


This was at the first round of the Pilgrim Sands Trail Riders short course series, featuring two 40-minute motos of combined MX track and woods. It was a BLAST, well worth the four-hour drive! I hit all the jumps, bottomed out my suspension, took a couple good diggers in the fast-flowing but progressively beat-to-hell woods loop, and got to watch tiny children on 85's lap me twice and do outrageous whips off the tabletops. And I got second place in the Women's class. Out of four. Still, the woman who got first was WAY ahead of me. I should make it my goal to keep up with her in NETRA by the end of this season. #7009, I am coming for you! ...Very, very slowly.

Also, the PSTR short course was Lovey's first race since he shattered his kneecap racing in the Catskills last May. So far, so good--next up, back to NETRA!


That's about it for the winter, except for that great day of trail riding that has already been recounted in Trail Rider Magazine. Oh, and there was that ill-advised outing in February when we tried to ride at our home track and everyone's bike got stuck up to the seat on the logging road before we got to the track at all. I just left mine there and let Greg and his friend haul it out. I wasn't being a bitch, either--I honestly couldn't budge the damn thing. But let's not dwell on that. 

Spring season is coming soon--to be exact, it's coming this Sunday with the NETRA Spring Challenge. That was my first-ever NETRA race last year, so I'm looking forward to seeing how I've progressed. Tally-ho!

Comments

Post a Comment